Awards will recognize the world’s best off-grid televisions and fans, which are critical to global energy access efforts
The Clean Energy Ministerial has announced the finalists in the 2015–16 Global LEAP Awards, an international competition that identifies and promotes the world’s best, most energy-efficient off-grid appliances. This round of the Global LEAP Awards features competitions for televisions and fans that are designed for use with off-grid solar energy systems.
“We're very proud to name the finalists for the Global LEAP Awards,” said Rose Mutiso, one of the Global Lighting and Energy Access Partnership (Global LEAP) initiative’s leaders. “These products have enormous potential to improve people’s lives and livelihoods all over the developing world. Super-efficient off-grid appliances mean better, more affordable off-grid energy services.”
All Global LEAP Awards finalists have had their quality, durability, and energy performance evaluated according to international test laboratory best practices, and each finalist has been evaluated by a panel of off-grid market and technology experts.
Winners of the Global LEAP Awards will be announced on 1 June 2016 at the seventh Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM7) in San Francisco, California, USA.
2015–16 Global LEAP Awards Off-Grid Television Competition Finalists
Large Television (viewable screen size ≥ 1,200 cm2)
- d.light design - 24" LED TV
- Maks Powertech - solar-powered LED TV 22"
- Mobisol - solar LED TV 12V DC - 24"
- Mobisol - solar LED TV 12V DC - 32"
- Niwa - solar LED TV 23.6"
Medium Television (viewable screen size ≥ 700 cm2 but < 1,200 cm2)
- d.light design - 18.5" LED TV
- Maks Powertech - solar-powered LED TV 19"
- Omnivoltaic Energy Solutions Company Limited - DC powered 19" LED TV monitor
- Super Star Group - LED TV 18.5"
Small Television (viewable screen size ≥ 390 cm2 but < 700 cm2)
- BBOXX Ltd. - BBOXX 15" TV
- d.light design - 15.6" LED TV
- fosera - fosera TV 110 - digital 15.6" 12V
- Niwa - Solar LED TV 15.6"
2015–16 Global LEAP Awards Off-Grid Fan Competition Finalists
Ceiling Fan (fan diameter > 1000 mm but ≤ 1400 mm)
- Metropolitan Electrical Appliance Mfg Co. - 42" DC (RC) ceiling fan patent by Keppe Motor (KP-201)
- Metropolitan Electrical Appliance Mfg Co. - 48" DC ceiling fan (ME-103DC)
- Versa Drives - Ceiling Fan (Super X11)
- Versa Drives - Ceiling Fan (Super V11)
- Versa Drives - Ceiling Fan (Super X1)
Pedestal Fan (fan diameter ≤ 400 mm)
- Metropolitan Electrical Appliance Mfg. Co. - 16" DC stand fan (ST40DC)
- Niwa - ECO Air 16" UP
Medium Table Fan (fan diameter > 200 mm but ≤ 400 mm)
- Bright Renewables Ltd. - table fan (KN-5922D)
- Metropolitan Electrical Appliance Mfg. Co. - 12" DC table fan (SG-12-05CF)
- Niwa - ECO Air 16"
- Super Star Group - table fan (FT30-DC02A)
Small Table Fan (fan diameter ≤ 200 mm)
- Metropolitan Electrical Appliance Mfg. Co. - 8 inch DC table fan (SG-08-CF1)
- Niwa - ECO Air 9"
Media Registration: To register to attend the Global LEAP Awards ceremony, send an email to CEMSecretariat@hq.doe.gov with your name, role, and your accredited media organization by close of business on Wednesday, 25 May. To receive the winners announcement electronically, please register at GlobalLEAP.org/contact. Winners’ information will be made available to media at the following time:
- San Francisco, California, USA: 8:00 PDT, Thursday, 1 June 2016
Background: Globally, a total of 1.2 billion people live without adequate access to electricity, and another billion have less than four hours of reliable electricity each day. The vast majority of these off-grid communities are in developing Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, and the people who live in them are frequently among the world’s poorest.
Appliances and the services they provide are in high demand in off-grid communities throughout the developing world. This demand frequently inspires off-grid consumers to purchase small renewable energy systems, such as solar home systems, to run the appliances. These clean energy systems replace these households’ needs for pre-modern, polluting energy sources such as kerosene, and provide significant health, environmental, and socioeconomic benefits.
High-quality, energy-efficient appliances optimize these benefits by extending run times, reducing energy costs, and improving the energy services available to off-grid consumers.
The purpose of the Global LEAP Awards is to provide clear signals about off-grid appliance quality, suitability, and performance, and to enable companies, investors, and policymakers to make faster, better-informed decisions regarding off-grid appliances.
This is the second round of the Global LEAP Awards. The first round was announced in 2013–14, and its Winners and Finalists have benefited from various business and promotional opportunities.
2015–16 Global LEAP Awards winners and finalists are eligible to participate in a new Global LEAP incentives program, which drives best-in-class products into key off-grid markets. This program incentivizes early-mover off-grid solar companies to procure and sell best-in-class Global LEAP Awards winner and finalist appliances, forging new business partnerships, driving and demonstrating market scale, and reducing risk across the supply chain. This program is supported by the Clean Energy Ministerial and by Energising Development.
The Global LEAP Awards is an initiative of the Clean Energy Ministerial’s Global Lighting and Energy Access Partnership and sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy. GlobalLEAP.org
Media Contact: Matt Jordan, CLASP, +1.650.283.8352, info@GlobalLEAP.org